Monday, April 1, 2013

Old Woman Suddenly Becomes Trendy Again--Details at 7

Yes--I am now on the cutting edge of fashion and social trends.

 There is a rap song currently making the rounds called "Thrift Shop" that my kids directed me to...and what a revelation! I understand that it has been around since last summer, but as usual, I am late to the game (I pride myself on being a "late adapter"). I and my family have been hard-core Thrift Store connoisseurs every since 1981; please check out my previous post on "A Thrift Store Christmas" to see first-hand the evidence that I am way ahead of this trend, dudes and dudettes. (Oh--and for that matter, the setting of the post "Mom Misadventures #1.") Here's the "artiste" author Macklemore commenting on his creation...
 "Rappers talk about, oh I buy this and I buy that, and I spend this much money and I make it rain, and this type of champagne and painting the club, and this is the kind of record that's the exact opposite," he explained. "It's the polar opposite of it. It's kind of standing for like let's save some money, let's keep some money away, let's spend as little as possible and look as fresh as possible at the same time."
Well, I'm sorry, young man, but we've been down with that whole world view for years already. Welcome to our universe.

Here, set forth for your enjoyment, are the lyrics (slightly altered for more sensitive souls)--


Thrift Shop Rap (by Macklemore and Lewis) 

What, what, what, what, what....

I’m gonna pop some tags
Only got 20 dollars in my pocket
I, I, I’m hunting,
 lookin’ for a
come-up
This is [most tremendously] awesome.

Walk into the club like what up, [I am very excited!]
I’m so pumped, I bought some [interesting things] from a thrift shop
Ice in the fridge is so [SO] frosty,
The people like “[Wow], that’s a cold [trendy white person]."
Rollin’ in [very] deep, headed to the mezzanine
Dressed in all pink, except my gator shoes, those are green.
Draped in a leopard mink girls standin’ next to me
Probably should have washed this, it smells like [something not desirable]
Pissssssssssssss.
But [doggone it], it was 99 cents.
If I get caught in it, washin’ it,
‘Bout to go and get some compliments passin’ off in those moccasins
Someone else has been walkin’ in, but me and grungie [really styling] ‘em
I am stuck in a closet and savin’ my money 
And I’m [awfully terribly] happy, that’s a bargain, [young lady.] 

Imma take it grandpa style, imma take it grandpa style,
No, for real I asked your grandpa, can I have his hand-me-downs?
Velour suit and some house slippers,
[Strangely] brown leather jacket that I found diggin’.
They had a broken keyboard, I bought a broken keyboard
I bought a ski blanket, then I bought an kneeboard.
Hello, hello, my ace man, my mello
John Wayne ain’t got nothing on my friends game,
Hello!
I can take some pro wings make ‘em cool, sell those
The sneaker heads will be like 
“Ah he got the Velcro!"

I’m gonna pop some tags
Only got 20 dollars in my pocket
I, I, I’m hunting, lookin’ for a come-up
This is [breathtakingly] awesome. 

What??? [that's my own "what." I like to write rap lyrics sometimes.]

FURTHER COOLNESS FACTOR...

And really now...Michelle and her bangs. Well, I've been rockin' those babies since grade school! Haven't failed me yet. She only WISHES she had been on it sooner when she saw my fashion trajectory.








Yo, world at large! Keep an eye on THIS momma! She's the one setting the trends from now on! (Prepare for "book piles" as home fashion accessories, and "baggy at the knees" sweatpants on the red carpet at the Oscars.)

No comments: